Sunday, October 24, 2021

DOMINANT ideology

Youth and a Voice...What will they use it for?

In the article written: I Know What I Believe: Using Theory to Prepare Youth Workers I found a quote that I related to my beliefs and is empowering me in youth work. In this quote is how we see the voice of a youth. Why do they feel this way and let them tell you why they are feeling this way...giving them time, give them space, give them a voice and hear it.

The first quote was..
"In this frame, young people are situated as individuals with emotional, physical, academic, moral, and social potential (Walker et. al, 2011)"

Youth are humans and they have many different needs just like adults. When making programs and hearing what they have to say we have to hear them. They are speaking to us as youth works because events are hitting them physical, moral and emotional. How do we help change their words in to actions that will help support them.

Positive YD
When doing my ideology I got the lowest number in letter B.  When I looked at the different groups and organizations that were linked to letter B. I was not shocked in having some relations in the link of B. Some organizations came back to school departments and after-school programs, which I am a huge advocate for having for youth.  I feel you should always have a place to go no matter what during school or after school. Giving them an area or an outlet to go to with other uses to problem solve and spend their time in a positive environment is very important. It is wonderful to have a youth space where they can have their own minds and structure how they want to spend their time. Empowering youth you need to give them the space to change and create their world that they will be soon taking over as us adults get older. Youth’s invoices are important and we should hear them.

When is comes to language and we feeling the same way, it was right on!!!!!!




Providence After School Alliance Missing Statement-

PASA’s mission is to help close persistent opportunity gaps by expanding and improving quality after school, summer and other out of school time learning opportunities for all the youth of Providence by organizing a sustainable public-private partnership that contributes to student success and serves as a national model.

Letting all youth have a space is so imported this way they can get their voice out their. Youth are always learning and everyone should get the best education so it doesn't matter the zip code.


Hands-on learning is at the core of PASA’s expanded learning strategy and this is the best way I learned. Test did not do anything for me.




It was also fun to learn about some new project that are out there. The FabNewport was a program I have not herd before. The language they used in their statement I could relate to in why I do youth work.



How I want to teach Youth from some ideas that I have been through

When I love learning in a group setting with youth because I feel that I am part of a team not that I am adult in power. When working with youth I try my hardest to make sure we work in a group setting and not me in the front of the room. As a person, I am able to work together to solve a problem and learn more on how we worked it out. If someone just tells me how to do something, I am unable to work out any questions I might have and recall the information better. I try to use this same understand when I am breaking down a problem with youth. When youth have gotten in trouble at school it is better to work on when they might have done and why they might have done that. Adults should never be like "you should know better" If the youth know better they problem would have not done what they did. Knowing where everyone is coming from is the best way to come to a concussion of solving something. I had two teachers in my educational history that set their classroom up so that we were all in a circle and worked together with other classmates to answer questions. When I had finished taking the two classes, I didn’t just learn about the topic but also, how to work in a group setting and learn about myself.  I took in a lot of information that helped me in everyday life skills.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your post Ashly and your reflections on PYD. In your first quote, it's amazing how the notion that young people are full humans is even something that needs to be said! And in your last paragraph I am thinking about the beautiful model of sitting in a circle and problem-solving in community. And again how radical this simple practice can be!

    ReplyDelete

Resonances/ Questions/Critiques (Shall We Play? )

Shall We Play? When reading the article Shall We Play? I thought of how students in school have many times where teachers have to teach to...